Monday, March 30, 2009

Who has control on PRICES?

Hi again.

The economy is not getting better. I have so far felt the heat when hearing close friend of friends losing their jobs. For us who is still having job, Alhamdulillah.
When we talk about economy both for us and for those who have lost their earning power, we then need to look at PRICES.
Who is really in control of this so called PRICES?
Some will say us, the consumers. Why because we dictates demands. Really?
Some will say them, the seller, whether they are individual or corporations. Because they dictate prices of their products or services.
To yet others they may say it is the government, whether federal or local. They have the control on price tag. Because there is such law that the government can impose control on price of certain product.
Let us look at this scenario:
I was at this one resort located somewhere between Kuala Lumpur and Melaka. I was there for the office family day event.
I drove all the way from the house to the resort. It took me about slightly more than an hour. I have to join the crowd from the office at one side of the resort. The first notice I saw was, parking at RM 4 per hour. Who set this rate? What justify this rate? Do I have a choice?
The resort management has actually took away my right and deprive me of choice to pay or not to pay! Come to think of it every where we go, there is no standard parking charges. Why? No body is powerful enough to imposed such standard! Where is the government and local authority?
I decided to skip joining the masses from my office. As I have not yet have my lunch, I decided to drop by at the club house for a pre-dinner snack. I ordered a cup of Teh Tarik and a plate of Cantonese Kueh Teow. The services was reasonably fast except there is a big gap between what I have ordered and what arrived. As I am allergic to sourness and citric fruits, I ordered the kueh teow without tomato and sprinkle of lime juice. Unfortunately either the chef is so diligently stick to standard that the kueh teow arrived as normal with tomato and sprinkle of lime juice. I have again to skip my snack and sacrifice my money and my right.
What is more surprising the price tag on this wine glass of teh tarik is RM 6. Who set the price? This teh tarik is definitely very special to carry such a price tag. Who is in control?
As a summary I feel nobody is protecting the consumers right. The government fail to control the seller and grant them full right to take away our right as the consumers.
What can we do?

No comments:

Post a Comment